Pages - Menu

Monday, June 10, 2013

Gif it up already

I love bad puns. Have I ever mentioned that? Well now you know. Bad puns = good things. Speaking of things that are so bad that they're good, I've made an interesting assortment of .gifs over the years that could  fit the description.

My love for .gifs spawned a while back when I first started using tumblr during my freshman year of high school. Back then I really loved photoshopping simple little graphics with song lyrics on them, partly because it got me a lot of attention and followers, and partly because, you know, art. Even though it was stupid art. So I did that for awhile before I thought, hey you know what people would really like? You know what would maximize the hipster rating of my silly images of song lyrics? If I made animated silly things of song lyrics!!!!!!

1. The Smiths 2. Bright Eyes

Eventually I moved away from animating text to animating images. I was drawn to that type of hipster-ironic-girly-psychedelic aesthetic. I don't really know how else to describe it. 


It wasn't until college that I started thinking about the medium and about the .gif's place in my art practice. I like how it is an exclusively web based medium. You can't put a .gif in a museum, for instance. I mean, I guess you could but it sounds very silly. At that time I was also thinking about being a teenager in the suburbs, and how creating .gifs - a sometimes very tedious process, since I animate frame-by-frame - was something I did to kill the boredom accumulated from living in such a sleepy, small city. That led to the creation of these


I really like how evil and wormy these two (three?) characters look, and I think the animation is pretty mesmerizing too. I like to think that I was like these things when I was a teen (... I'm still a teen?). I had like really evil thoughts, loved fantasizing about revenge, but I was perceived as a sweet little girl. And I really like that contradiction. I'm glad I found these things! I kind of want to do more work with them. 

Anyways yeah.... That's all I got for today. I should go back to finishing my essay. Love <3




No comments:

Post a Comment